Friday, March 12, 2010

Hit the beach



When I'm whining about the work down in Milot, shove this picture in my face. It was beautiful today. I went for a swim for about an hour. Didn't see anywhere near as many fish today. Saw a decent sized mackerel, a little more than a meter long. He didn't want to have anything to do with me, but I followed him for a little more than 100 meters.

I found a massive starfish. I'm not sure if he was alive or not. I turned him over with my blade, and thought I saw some movement, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to touch him, as I couldn't remember if they had any toxins or anything.

Then, as I was swimming back to shore, I realized I had company. A single of the massive school of fish I encountered yesterday was enjoying the shade under me. He was swimming quite close, and seemed very content.

I relaxed and floated in place for awhile. The little guy was very tolerant, not moving while I lifted my head to breathe (again, really missing my snorkel). A couple of times he came right up to my face, and examined my mask closely. After about five minutes of the extreme close up, I decided to call it a day, and wandered back to shore.

The weather is interesting here. It always seems like there is a storm just off shore. Even now, sitting by the pool, it seems like it could open up any minute.

But it hasn't.

In Jamaica or St. Maarten, when the weather looked like this, it inevitably stormed. Beautiful storms, with blowing wind. Very spectacular as you could watch them coming to shore.

I wish I could find the money to spring for a week at a resort. I miss diving on an actual reef, or exploring a new island. St. Maarten was incredible this way. If you go, rent a car. Great beaches, beautiful scenery, and easy driving.

I think my team just arrived. Time to go find out what I'm in for.

No comments: